Monday, January 5, 2009

So, New York

So, I visited New York for the first time in ages.  The changes that I saw are phenomenal. This may be because the last time I was there was shortly after 9/11 and so everyone and everything was dressed in a grey somberish color. 

I had the elitist tourist siting of New York, with a Broadway play (Spring Awakening), staying in a nice hotel next to the theatre, eating out at nice restaurants and places, having dessert after every meal, just a bit extravagant.  

While walking around and seeing some of the homeless, it just made me realize how far away from their world I am, and  yet so close.  Sure, I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food on my plate, though I am lacking in hot water (our water heater has been out for two weeks). But the point is, though my family doesn't have a lot of money, and I am always broke, I have more than those people, and the fact that I could afford to go on a trip to NY with my friend and her family, is just amazing. 

I mean, I don't regret going at all. I did the most interesting things and met Mark Indelicato (which was the high point in the trip, and in my life). But it made me a little bit guilty of what I was doing during the holidays, and when so many people had lost their houses to foreclosures.  

It just made me remember and be thankful for all the good stuff that I have been born into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment